The St. Lucia Tourist Ministry of Tourism and Civil Aviation has announced changes which will greatly improve and support yachting for private and charter yachts wishing to cruise St. Lucian waters as well as those wishing to conduct yachting business in the country. Some of the changes include the following:
– Yachtsmen will now be permitted to stay in St. Lucia waters for 6 months
– Yachts with owners temporarily on island will be allowed to remain in the state free of duties and taxes for up to 3 years, after which they will become payable on current value
– 100% waiver of import duty and tax on yachts imported into Saint Lucia
– 100% waiver on income tax from operations for the first 5 years for local charter companies with a minimum of 1 captain and 3 crew members, and has a fleet of 3 or more power or sailing vessels
– Approval has been given for the formation of a Yachting Committee, that falls under the purview of the Ministry of Tourism and Civil Aviation and will incorporate all relevant institutions that function to regulate the yachting sector in St. Lucia
– 100% waiver of import duty and consumption tax on boat safety equipment and watercraft activity equipment, which includes sport fishing, SCUBA diving, kite surfing and other water sports, subject to verification of the Bill of Quantities by the Ministry of Tourism and Civil Aviation for 5 years from date of cabinet conclusion
– 100% waiver of import duty and consumption tax on all equipment and materials imported or purchased locally for use in the establishment of infrastructure to service yachts over period of 5 years, subject to verification and approval of the Bill of Quantities by the Ministry of Tourism and Civil Aviation
– The Government of Saint Lucia has waived the visa requirements for Russian and Australian nationals so that Russian and Australian nationals no longer require visas to enter Saint Lucia
Sailing in the Caribbean is one of life’s pleasures and enjoyed by many – young and old. Here the pirates may have long gone but their stories live on. Visit Pigeon Island and you will see what we mean. This national park is only seven minutes away from your villa when you stay at St Lucia’s best villa rental.
Akasha is a great supporter of the yachting industry and the sailors who visit these shores. Every year you can watch all of the competitors in the ARC race sail around the north of the island and into Rodney Bay. Its a great site.
Its interesting to note the architect of the villa sailed in the ARC race to view the plot so he could visualize the setting for himself – we think he didn’t believe us when we told him what a great location it was. It didn’t take long for him to realize what a gem it was. It inspired him to create the most exclusive villa rental in St Lucia.