Saint Lucia Tips for a Great Holiday
Knowing what activities are available in Saint Lucia is just a part of what makes a great holiday. The following tips are designed to make it easier to prepare for travel and enjoy your trip. Of course, you probably already know you want to visit the volcanic mountains, snorkel, or scuba dive offshore and enjoy beach time. But, what about expectations you or others have? Here are ten things you should know.
1. Beaches – they are all public, so no resort restricts access for their guests.
2. Currency – you don’t have to exchange your US dollars because the island accepts USD and the Eastern Caribbean Dollar.
3. Tips – restaurants, bars, and resorts tend to add 10% to your bill automatically, so anything more is up to you. Remember, the island is primarily dependent on tourism; thus, it helps locals receive 15% or more in tips for their services.
4. Sandy Beaches – if you are looking for white sand, go to Anse des Pitons because most of the other beaches will be a mix of orange and black due to the earlier volcanic action.
5. Guides and beach vendors can be a little pushy. Arranging trips is best, so you don’t have to worry about finding someone when you arrive; especially, with Covid protocols. However, you need to be firm when approached if you don’t want anything from the vendors and guides.
6. You want to visit Diamond Botanical Gardens and the National Rain Forest, as well as hike Pigeon Island.
7. Wildlife roams the island just as freely as stray cats and dogs. This can be a bit bothersome to some people but realize charities are working on helping all these pets find homes.
8. Renting a car can offer you more freedom.
9. Remember to book around hurricane season or have trip insurance.
10. Anse Chastanet is ideal for snorkeling.